Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Meaning Behind A Bad Day

So I had another bad day yesterday. I think these days come up every once in a while to keep me focused on how blessed I am 99% of the time. But yesterday was really a fun one, let me tell you. First of all, Cambri had her 4 month check up at 1:30. She has been acting kind of fussy, so I was hoping the doctor could tell me if her throat was sore or if she had an ear infection. I pull out of Grand Teton Mall for what should be a routine trip to Iona and back. My low gas light comes on. Yes, I know what a low gas light is supposed to indicate. I do understand the concept. But in my Lancer, the low gas light means nothing. You can drive for 100 more miles and  be fine. I assume that all vehicles are this way. I was wrong. I got to Iona and picked up Cam Cam and then I started to feel it die. I puttered down 1st street and then it just shut off. Naturally it was already 1:30 when this happened. So I call the doctors office and ask if they can move my appointment back 1/2 hour. Of course not as they "don't do wellness checks after 1:45". Give me a break people! This is a side story but this was the last straw between the Pediatric Center and myself. I'm finding a new doctor for my kids on Monday. Anyway, after I established that they could see her at 3:30 but "only for her illness" (as they reminded me at least three seperate times) and I was going to have to go back another day for the checkup, my happy demeanor started to slide. But now I needed to work on the gas situation. I called my mom but she was busy and they said she couldn't come to the phone. I was too chicken to call my dad or brother-in-law #1 so I went to brother-in-law #2. I called him four times right in a row and the writing on the wall would be that he would yell at me for waking him up, so I knew that was a lost cause. At this point, I start to panic because it was really cold and the baby was starting to be fussy. I was thinking about walking but it was freezing and I only had one baby blanket with me. So I start to cry. Not a proud moment but I think that the self pity started to seep in as I just wished that Chase worked in town. I know that if my husband had been in town, he would have come rescued me immediately. Obviously he doesn't, so I went through my cell phone contacts a second time. I kept thinking with all these numbers, there would have to be someone willing to take pity on me. And then it came to me.

PAULA!
I thought to myself, Paula would never turn me down. And I was right. I called and asked for a favor and the first words out of her mouth were "What do you need?" She is such a thoughtful, caring person and I'm so LUCKY to have her as my very best friend. She not only came to my aide but she brought gas with her so we didn't have to move Cambri in and out of the cars on the busy street. What a sweet, kind person. I love her so much! Now that I'm typing this, it has occurred to me that maybe that's why I ran out of gas after 10 miles. I needed to be reminded of what a great person I have the good fortune of knowing. Not that I forgot but maybe this is what we all need from time to time. Anyway, Paula graciously helped me out but that didn't solve my doctor problem. Month end is a crazy time at work and I need to go back to the office sometime to wrap some things up. But if I drove Cambri back to Iona, then went back to the mall, and then back to Iona for her 3:30 appointment, well I'm sure you are catching my drift. So I came up with a solution.


I BROUGHT CAMBRI TO WORK WITH ME!
She is such a good little baby. She just quietly sat under my desk and no one even noticed. Heck, I just might bring her with me everyday. Everyone at work thinks she is so cute and nobody seemed to mind. At one point, I was feeding the baby and my boss called me into her office to ask a question. As I was standing there with the baby in one hand and pointing with the other hand, I thought to myself, well this isn't the way I thought things would ever be but how blessed am I have to have such a great kid (!) and a fantastic working environment. So my bad day turned out ok after all. Yay for me!

2 comments:

Golicova Family said...

Seriously, where did you steal that picture from?

I love you too.

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

Katie, thanks for the nice comment about my blog. It is always validating to know that someone reads its! What completely adorable little girls you have! Oh, and I think your husband's tattoos are just about the sweetest things I've ever seen. I'm glad I found your blog. We'll have to stay in touch!