Saturday, October 24, 2009

My Ordinary Life



Isabelle: (slowly approaching a tired, sleeping woman in bed) Are you my mommy?

Katie: (opens a single eye) The DNA test was inconclusive so I don't think we should jump to any conclusions. Feel free to call me Katie until we can work something out.

Isabelle: But I need something now.

Katie: AAAAHHHH. I guess I have some kind of legal obligation to you. What is it?

Isabelle: I need a drink.

Katie: You woke me up for this????!!???! You know where we keep Gordy's water bowl.

Isabelle: But Mommy, I don't want water.

Katie: I tell you to drink from a dog dish and your primary concern is that its only water? Whose child are you?

Isabelle: I thought you were my Mommy.

Katie: Is it just me or have we already had this conversation?

Isabelle: So can I get a drink?

Katie: Is this life or death? Is there anyone else you can ask?

Isabelle: No Mommy, I'm too shy.

Katie: Since when?

Isabelle: (and I may be slightly paraphrasing here) Since my mother caused me severe emotional damage by allowing me to become dehydrated because my little sister kept her up all night long in what became one of the most torturous events in her entire life.

1 comment:

The Cook Nook said...

Izzy is so breath-takingly beautiful.