Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What Are You D-D-Doing?


There are two phrases that come of my daughter’s mouth a lot. “Mommy, what are you d-d-d-doing?” or “What d-d-did you d-d-do, Mommy?” It’s so cute that I should get a videotape of it so we can remember or that was what I used to think anyway. The other night we were over at my brother-in-laws for dinner and he was making fun of her by making her repeat her stuttering over and over again. When he realized how cruel he was being, I believe his exact words were, “I better stop doing that or I’ll make her problems worse like yours.” This should have been a red flag to me and it kind of was. I remember thinking, “What is he talking about?” Well this weekend, everything was made very clear to me. My mother-in-law informed me that my husband used to have a very bad stutter. I almost fell out my chair. Oh but it gets better. After a school speech therapist worked on him with the problem, Chase got better. But then it came back a second time! I was shocked! I can’t believe that my husband let Izzy go on with her stutter without telling me that it was some kind of hereditary trait. My kid is going to be made fun of! I have failed her! Ever since that faithful day, I have made Izzy stop mid-sentence and practice saying words like “did” and “do” without stuttering. This is horrible! I’m trying to regain my composure and address this problem like an adult but I think I’m in panic mode. WHAT D-D-DO I D-D-DO?

No comments: