Friday, October 31, 2008

Boo at the Zoo

I had high hopes for yesterday. I thought it would be really fun to take the kids (Braxton & Izzy) to Boo at the Zoo. All the kids come to the zoo in their Halloween costumes and local businesses hand out candy in between animal exhibits. My mom lovingly rearranged her schedule so that she could help me out. Braxton and I went to pick up Izzy from the daycare and she was super excited when she saw him dressed up like Batman and kept saying, “Let’s go see the animals.” So naturally I assumed this was going to be a fun experience. It wasn’t. To say the least. By the time we got home, Izzy’s mood had done a 180. She refused to put on her costume. When I finally wrestled it on her, she laid on the ground screaming for 10 minutes. I was set on her wearing it and I thought she would calm down but when she didn’t, I conceded defeat and pulled it off. This did nothing. She was still hysterical. Finally, my mom and I loaded her into the car in her ordinary clothes. If we hadn’t already told Braxton what we were doing, we would have scrapped the idea entirely. By the time we got to the zoo, Izzy had (miraculously) calmed down. So we took her in. She was the only child, in any age group, that wasn’t dressed up. My mom had tried to tell me that it was natural for 2 year olds to not want to dress up but after arriving at the zoo, I realized this was a lie. I saw plenty of young kids dressed up and looking adorable. When I pointed this out to my mom, I told her that I should have come with a sign around my neck saying that my kid refused to dress up, it wasn’t that I was too cheap to buy a costume. My mom told me that I should start the sign out with “Don’t judge me!” We had a good laugh but I still felt like a bad mom because Isabelle was in jeans and a sweater. But the story doesn’t end here. For those of you that know that Idaho Falls zoo, you know that the petting zoo is almost as far away from the entrance that you can get. This is the exact place my two year old picked to freak out. She started screaming and crying and running into people in her hysterics. I picked her right up and we left. She and I sat in the car for a half hour while we waited for my mom and Braxton to get done. She cried the entire time. It was horrible. On my way home from work, I realized that I left my camera in my office and I was kicking myself. Now I am almost glad that I don’t have a photo reminder of the affair. So much for planning something fun for a 2 year old. I tried my best!

1 comment:

paul said...

I remember my daughters having tantrums at the grocery store, laying on the floor screaming at the top of their lungs. I played it so cool, I was in charge. I told her she wasn't screaming loud enough bcuz a stranger in the back could not hear her. She was suddenly more concerned about a stranger that she stopped her tantrum and sheepishly walked behind me to the car. Never happened again,oh well!