Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Spring Break!



You learn something new everyday. Last night I was reading What to Expect during the Toddler Years when something hit me. It said, “Do not teach your child something you will want to undo at a later time.” Oops! The book was referencing such things as eating and sleeping habits but I have another thing to add to their list. Do not teach your child to lift her shirt every time she hears someone say “spring break!” I would never admit this to my overly prudish parents or husband, but I think I may have made a mistake. I found it extremely hysterical when she was one but now that she’s a little older, I have the feeling that I creep some people out. It was never intended to do so but now I’m struggling with how to make her unlearn this concept before I get reported to Child Services. I wanted to be a fun mom to Izzy and I try my best! Another habit that I’m trying to break with her is that fact that she calls me “Mom.” I absolutely hate that! Moms are old people and I don’t want her to forget that I’m still young! For the last week, I have been trying to get her to call me “Katie,” but it’s not going very well. I know that someone people have their feelings hurt when their kids call them by their first name, but not me. To me, the word mom is a title that means nothing. Just being a mom doesn’t mean that you are automatically a good mother, it is still something that must be earned through actions. So if it makes me feel better for her to call me “Katie” then I hope she will humor me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im not a prude i just dont want my daughter to think thats ok!!!!!!!!!!