Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Symbol of Freedom

Well, no matter the outcome, the 2008 election season is over. Thank goodness! I don't think that I could have taken another day, especially because this one has been going on for over a year. Earlier this year, when I went and saw the movie Swing Vote (by myself because Chase hates spending time with me) something really stuck out for me. There was a line in the movie about how those of us that don't work for the government or serve in the military are really asked to do very little for all the freedoms that we enjoy. All our country asks from us is to spend a few hours every four years voting. If you can't sacrifice that, then what can you sacrifice? So yesterday I decided to teach my six year old nephew about the democratic process and I took him to vote with me. On the way over we discussed how important it was to vote because there are people are there that are giving their lives for our right to such liberties and people in different countries aren't even allowed to pick their leaders. He was so cute and innocent througout the whole process. He asked the lady checking people in if she had voted yet. When she told him she had, she asked him who he was voting for and he told her aunt Katie. On the way out, he asked when he could vote and I told him when he was a grown up. And he replied, "So you mean when I turn 7?" After I got home last night, I played with the kids and went to bed. Just getting out there and voting took a huge weight off my shoulders and I didn't feel the need to keep myself up all night watching the TV because as that point I had done all I could do. The only thing left is to make my husband feel guilty for not voting. But I'm not going to work too hard at this because I have a feeling that we would have cancelled each other out and this way I still get to feel like I won.

1 comment:

paul said...

Voting is an awesome gift and a great responsibility. Thank you for taking the time to teach the values of voting to the next generation, you are a Patriot.