Monday, February 8, 2010

Taking the World Head On

There is a lot of good things about Izzy. ONE of the best things (& the worse;) is that she doesn’t take anything from anyone. Including me. While this can be a challenge for anyone parenting a strong willed three year old, I have no fear that anyone will walk on Izzy or try to take advantage of her. She won't let them. But back to the parenting lesson learned the hard way. Time out. Izzy is no good at time out which essentially means I’m no good at enforcing time out. But this weekend I knew I had no choice. I was working on my taxes and Izzy moved half of her play room out into the living room. And then refused to put them away.

Katie: Do you want to put your toys away or go to time out?

Izzy: Time out.

Katie: Shoot! I think I phrased that wrong. Do you want to put your toys away now or sit in time out and then put your toys away?

Izzy: I just want to sit in time out.

Katie: It’s not one or the other. Either way you are putting those toys away.

Izzy: No. You said if I go to time out I don’t have to put those toys away.

Katie: Are you and I having the same conversation?

Izzy: I’m going to time out. And with that, she stomped away.

Silly me, I actually thought I won one. After a few minutes things were very quiet. A little two quiet for an ADD three year old who ate nothing but fruit snacks for lunch. So I went in after her. I seriously couldn’t find her. And I looked in every room in the house several times. She likes to play hide and seek but she’s about as good at that game as her mom is at enforcing time out. So I started to freak a little. When all of a sudden, I got a little clue. I heard a giggle.

Then I saw a little hand.

And I found my little baby stuffed in a drawer underneath her bed.





Don't worry everyone. I tried to stay firm when I found her. It didn't go overly well.



Yes, Isabelle just wheels herself back under the bed when she decides the conversation is over. She oft becomes tired of listening to me.

No comments: