Monday, January 11, 2010

Drive Thru Like A Rock Star



I threw a baby shower this weekend. While I think this is a much better idea, my friend Sarah had never had a traditional baby shower so we decided to go that route. Needless to say, for those of you who know me best, I was running behind and extremely frantic Saturday morning trying to get everything together. Which landed us in the McDonalds drive thru for lunch, which leads us to this scene.


Setting: Tired, exhausted, utterly stressed out mother pulls up to the McDonalds drive thru and orders a traditional Mickey Dee’s lunch. Knowing that her husband and her dad STRONGLY disapprove of this, she eliminated a paper trail by paying cash. She also tried to alleviate guilt by changing out fries for apples in her 3 year olds happy meal, much to the chagrin of the three year old.

Mother: Thank you! (Pulls car slowly up to the pay window. As she approaches window, she notices in side mirror that the window of the rear driver side passenger is slowly coming down to expose a three year old wearing a pair of sunglasses that sit lopsided on her head. Mother thinks to herself this is how a rock star must handle groupies.)

Three Year Old: Excuse me sir! (Confused teenage employee look over both shoulders, wondering who she is addressing).

TYO: Excuse me sir!

Teenage Employee: Uhh yeah? (Mother doesn’t exactly see where this is going but is still frantically pawing at the window buttons to try and override the window button that is being pushed by TYO. Being that she is also digging through her unorganized purse for cash, neither task is going overly well.)

TYO: My mother said I wanted apples. But I don’t. I want fries. (Mother is not shocked at absolute unabashed gall three year old is displaying. Unfortunately, she has been in this situation before.)

Mother: ISABELLE! When Mommy makes a decision, it is no longer open for debate.

TYO: Mommmmmyyyyy

Mother: No

TYO: Yes

Mother: No

TYO: Yes

Teenage Employee: Uhh there are four cars behind you.

Mother: Oh my goodness, I’m sorry. We will keep the apples and here is a twenty for your troubles (The apology did happen. The tip? Not so much. Do you think someone who could barely find a $5 in her nightmare of a purse had time to round up another $20? Hardly. But I still felt bad.)

The moral of this story is that window locks should be kept on at all times when chauffeuring around strong willed three year olds. Otherwise your lack of parenting skills will be exposed to the world and no amount of Dr. Dobson books can help you out of the predicaments you will find yourself in.

1 comment:

Megan and Kenny said...

Your stories are funny. Way to stay strong and say no to the fries. I probably would have given in because I would have been laughing at my crazy child.