Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fear Can Be A Good Thing



I finally found something that my little dearest is scared of. Her fearlessness sometimes keeps me up at night because I know there is nothing I can do about it. When she and I were in Price last week, we went out for lunch. I walked away from the counter to put the baby on the table and I thought little Izzy was behind me. All of a sudden I hear a little voice demanding to know why the lady behind the counter wasn’t reacting quickly enough to the my diva’s food order. “You should be getting my food you know” is what she said. As I ran back (in shock) to retrieve this kid, she kept saying to me “What’s that girl doing? She should be getting our food.” I had to clamp my hand over her mouth to get her to focus on being quiet. I know that my daughter is a sponge and she reacts like Chase and I react. But I can honestly say that neither Chase or I have ever, ever acted like that. I really have no idea where this sense of entitlement came from but hopefully I can work it out of her. So back to the no fear thing (obviously she isn’t scared of being rude unfortunately). Izzy is one of those kids that will jump feet first into a swimming pool without being concerned of anything silly, you know, like whether or not she has the ability to swim. But when we took her to hibachi while we were in Illinois, she freaked. The chef came out and threw down lighter fluid which started the flames very quickly and the kid almost went into cardiac arrest. She actually crawled into my lap out of fear which I don’t think has every happened before. Right then I thought, “Thank goodness, Izzy has some healthy fear in her life.” Of course, not even thirty seconds after the photo of her on my lap was taken, she had recovered and was slamming her fists on the counter while chanting “fire, fire, fire.”

1 comment:

Holly Cook said...

Her picture looks like she is deciding whether she should be afraid or not, and then she obviously decided... NOT, hence the chanting.