Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Sisters


"Sisters annoy, interfere, criticize. Indulge in monumental sulks, in huffs, in snide remarks. Borrow. Break. Monopolize the bathroom. Are always underfoot. But if catastrophe should strike, sisters are there. Defending you against all comers." ~Pam Brown



While Cam Cam and Izzy are blessed to have each other, sometimes I worry that I’m in way over my head with two girls. Izzy had a feisty sparkle in her eye yesterday at Sam’s Club and I knew I was in for it. Of course this all started because she was upset at me for making her ride in the cart because “four year olds” are too big for carts. I had to remind her that if she wasn’t prone to running around like a demon child then I would have been willing to negotiate. But because I had to pull her out from the back of the person’s pickup truck that was parked next to us, my amenable attitude was out the window. But lucky for me, Sam’s Club has carts like these. So I threw both my kids in and off we went.

Somewhere near the produce section, Isabelle became hysterical. After calming her down, she threw her pointer finger at her little sister and said, “SHE DID IT. SHE PULLED MY HAIR.” While I understand that my three year old is dramatic, I thought even she was pushing it as her sister is only nine months old. But then I watched little Cam Cam latch onto her hair so I tried to put her in her place by talking stern to my nine month old, warning her that the next time she would be in BIG trouble. Cambri just smiled at me in her sweet, simple way. When I started laughing, Isabelle was beside herself with rage. I swear I was waiting to hear the “You love her more” argument but even little Izzy isn’t quite that articulate yet. I was working on distracting Cambri with other things in order to solve the problem. This did not make Izzy happy as she was expecting me to spank little Cam Cam for this grave misconduct. So Izzy took matters into her own hands. I turned my back, but out of the corner of my eye, I watched Izzy sink down into her seat and lean her head right into Cam Cam’s hand. I’m sure that you see where this is going. The second that little Cam Cam grabbed hold the chunk of hair that was right in her face, Izzy whipped straight up and started screaming, “SHE DID IT. SHE DID IT AGAIN! YOU SAID YOU WOULD SPANK HER!” I’m going to take the liberty of reminding all of you that we were in a public place where groceries are sold during the five o’clock hour. It was packed and people were beginning to stare. And while all of this was going on, all I could think about was this quote.

Of two sisters one is always the watcher, one the dancer. ~Louise Glück

I think I'm in trouble.

No comments: