Friday, April 17, 2009

Grandma Great Turns 73!







Grandma Great turned 73 on Monday. I tried calling her all morning and her line was busy. So many people called her that she couldn’t even take a break between phone calls. I finally got through around 11 only to find out that I was the 15th person to call. We decided that it would be fun to visit Ashton that night so Chase, Isabelle & Braxton and I drove up to have dinner with her. I felt bad that she had to cook but we volunteered to take her out and she refused. She really wanted to cook. She bought me some of my favorite dressing to complete the meal. Unfortunately, I couldn’t eat it because it was Kraft and they started using miracle whip in their ranch which is completely disgusting (I'm picky, I can't help it). But the act is very reflective on the person that my grandmother is. She is very loving and giving and I never could relate to people that don’t know their grandparents very well because I value mine so much. I can’t think of one of my major life events that my Grandma hasn’t had a front row seat for. I used to think it was because she only had three grandkids and most others have more than that that they need to divide their attention on. But really it comes down to her being the person she is. If she had a hundred grandkids, she would be focused on all of them. On her birthday, she took Izzy and Braxton out to the barn to feed the cats. Braxton came running back inside the house and said, “We have to save Grandma Great from Izzy!” Unfortunately, Izzy had put Grandma Great into timeout in the barn and was hanging on the chain so that she couldn’t open the door. But on a completely different level from that, we do have to save Grandma Great from Izzy (& all of her family) because she would give any of us everything she had. Her thoughtfulness shines through in all aspects of her life which is exactly why she had call after call from different people on her birthday. She’s a great friend to all, a perfect ally to have and a wonderful grandma.

No comments: