Friday, November 18, 2011

We Are Not Together OBVIOUSLY

Seriously Chuck and I spend way too much time together. It's becoming awkward.

The most uncomfortable of awkward situations happens when we get mistaken as a couple.

I don't get it. I mean times are tough but I think I could do better than an old dude. Come on.

Last time we were at Outback I wanted to throw myself off a cliff. That may sound dramatic but it's not.

I know how the situation looks. Two adults walk in with wedding rings and children. And people start assuming. I know they can't help it.

When we walked into Outback and sat at a table for four, the waitress immediately assumed that we were together. How do I know this?

She told us WE had cute kids.

Instead of saying something intelligent such as "I have cute kids and he has cute grand kids" or "This is my DAD" I blurted out, "No we aren't together." It was INSTINCT I tell you.

Waitress: "Oh I'm sorry, let's get you to separate tables."

Katie: "Oh we are eating together, we just aren't together."

Waitress: "I don't judge honey. Anyway works for me."

Katie: "Please, please judge. Please"

Waitress: "Ummm Ok"

Katie: "By saying that you don't judge you are implying that we have a situation that warrants some kind of judgement and this is my Dad."

This waitress finally had a moment of clarity. Nervous laughter all around.

But I probably won't recover.

Later that night, as I was clipping Chuck's toenails, I realized that we must give off that weird couple vibe. But it's unintentional.

I swear it.

No comments: