Sunday, November 13, 2011

Uncle Ryan Cheats at the Slug Bug Game


This is a picture of a picture, so the quality is lacking. But this is Izzy's new school picture! Chase got her ready the morning of the big shoot and I think she looks pretty good.

One morning when I dropped Izzy off for school, I noticed that her and the school principal race to the door. I thought how cute and sweet the whole thing was.

And they did it again the next day.

So when I picked her up, I asked, "Do you and Ms. Margaret race everyday?"

Isabelle: Yes

Katie: Do you win everyday?

Isabelle: Duh.

Katie: Does she let you win or do you win?

Isabelle: I win.

Hmmm. Given that Ms. Margaret is in great shape, I highly doubt this.

Why am I telling you all of this?

Because my five year old is addicted to winning. I think I may have to start taking her to meetings.

Everything is a competition. It drives me crazy.

So I said, "Isabelle I would be a failure of a parent if I sent you out into this world with you thinking that are going to win everything. Worse yet, have an EXPECTATION that you are ENTITLED to win everything."

Isabelle: Huh?

Katie: You aren't going to win every race, defeat every problem and come out on top of every situation.

Isabelle: I don't get it.

Katie: You are going to lose at some point. We all do.

Isabelle: I lost once. When Uncle Ryan and I played the slugbug game.

Katie: Yes! That's a great example of adversary.

Isabelle: But that was because he cheated.

Katie: Oh M Ba Gee Gee. I don't think you get it.

Isabelle: He cheats. If he sees them first, he just takes them instead of letting me see them. And then he gets all of them and I have none.

I will have to fall back on to my brother-in-law to teach my child the lesson of losing. I know that he will never give her a pity win. He doesn't even give his own child a pity Tic-Tac-Toe victory.

Until then I will continue to point out the slugbugs until she gets them. And listen to her complain that Cambri always copies her.

Yes, I know. I am part of the problem.

I can't help it. She's my baby.

No comments: