Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Rotavirus

My poor little baby. I can't believe it. She has survived another hospital stay. Last Sunday, Izzy had a fun day playing with her dad in the pool and at the zoo. She was fine all day long. That night, a switch was flipped and she started throwing up and having diarrhea. It literally came from nowhere. I laid in bed with her until 2 in the morning and finally I couldn't take it anymore because she was having problems breathing and her eyes kept rolling back into her head. So I picked her up and we went straight to the ER. I walked in with a little lifeless body and they didn't even make me wait. They took us straight back and started taking her vital signs. They helped getting her breathing correctly and just watched her for a few hours. When they sent us home, I really felt like they weren't listening to me. I'm really not one of those moms who whisks her kid into the ER for every sniffle. In fact, she has only been to the doctor one other time this year yet they made me feel like I was an over zealous person. It was very frustrating. I stayed home on Monday, well actually at my parents house because our sprinkler system flooded our yard and the city killed the water to our house until we got it fixed (another extremely long story that I don't even want to get into). But Monday night I did notice some improvements, so I thought the ER doctor was right and it was a 24 hour thing. I dropped her off at daycare the next morning and by the time I got to work, I had three urgent messages to come pick Izzy up. She definitely took a turn for the worse and she was miserable all day. She couldn't even hold a small sip of water down. And the diarrhea was constant. It seriously sounded like someone turned a spigot of water on inside her stomach. So Wednesday I took her into the Pediatric Center. Of course, by the time I got there, she was actually coming back from the dead a little bit. They took her blood and she thought it was great that she got to pick out her own bandaid (it really is the little things in life, right Izzy?). The doctor looked her over and said she looked fine. He even asked me twice how old she was because she just kept responding to his questions with such ease. He tried to give her a book and she told him, "I already read that one, I'm going to need a different one please." At that point he said, "You are a very precocious two year old" and she responded with "I know but thank you." At this point, I was really thinking he was going to send me on my way without really listening to me tell him that she hadn't kept anything down in over 48 hours and I was starting to get flustered. But he did want to review her blood work first. When he came back in, Izzy was reading a book to me and she told him, "I need to finish this but I already told her it was the last time." It was very cute. Fortunately, when he saw her blood work he finally understood what I was trying to tell him. He said,"You really couldn't tell from looking at her but she needs to go to the hospital right away because these results aren't telling a pretty story." So we went straight to EIRMC. When we got there, Izzy stuck out her finger like a little pro so they could take her pulse. When the nurse commented what a good patient she was, I told her that we had done this before, in fact just 3 days ago. She asked me what the Rotavirus results had been at the ER and I told her that I had no idea what she was talking about. She said that anytime a child under 5 comes into the ER with these kind of symptoms they ALWAYS check for Rotavirus. She went to pull Izzy's records and came back in 15 minutes later and said that they didn't check her for Rotavirus. I wasn't suprised but frustrated that I could have avoided this second hosptial stay had I known what I was up against. You are supposed to keep a child infected with Rotavirus drinking liquids every 15-30 minutes even at night, which I hadn't been doing. You are supposed to call the doctor if they have dirrahea more than 12 times a day, which I didn't know. I was kind of grouchy about the whole thing. But it got worse because they needed to put an IV in her and her veins kept collapsing. The whole time she was screaming, "They are hurting me Mommy." It was horrible. And it just kept going on and on. Finally they called an ER nurse up that is more used to working with patients with bad veins (like drug addicts). The poor kid had bruises up and down both arms. I was having a hard time and my mother was having an even more difficult time. But a couple of days in the hospital is the best treatment for Rotavirus, even though you should obviously not let it get to that point. Kids who are hospitalized usually recover a little faster because the only way you can get rid of it is through dirrahea and the constant fluid helps push it through much faster. I could actually keep going with this for another 300 words on this entire experience but I'm going to save everyone some time and just wrap it up. We are very lucky to have a healthy child once again. Thank goodness!

1 comment:

Bryce Family said...

i had no idea this all happened!!?? I am so sorry! We hate hospitals so much! I am so glad she is all better!!! btw. i love the way Elliot Kennedy sounds, but that is just me;)