Friday, August 20, 2010

The Sleepover That Almost Was


So this is my niece Jade. She and I have a little tradition going on. I say "Jaderbugs, you should come spend the night with Aunt Katie."

And she ALWAYS says "I caaaannnn'tttt doooo thhhhaattt."

It's our thing you know.

So you can imagine my surprise when the Big Burkes went to leave this weekend and I asked Jade to stay over and she looked up at me and said, "Ok."

I think Nikki almost peed her pants because Jade has only ever spent the night with her grandparents. I naturally felt very bad because I never would have put Nikki on the spot if I thought Jade would actually want to stay. It's kind of a parent code in a way. Right?

So Nicole took Jade out to have a powwow in the car. Then Jade called her Dad. Then I went out there to say that we could all take a few days to think about it and do it next weekend.

But Jade still wanted to stay. And I am the queen of girl sleepovers, especially first timers.

So she stayed. But not without her mother's phone number scratched out on her arm, which I edited this photo for privacy purposes. I'm sure Nicole would love spam phone calls but I will save that pleasure for a different time. Like when I submit her info to the timeshare company in the mall.

Doesn't this look painful?
Back to the sleepover. We watched movies and ate popcorn. We danced like princesses and had a very good time. Jade's only concern is that if for any reason her mom's number washed off her arm that I would be willing to give it a redo. To which I agreed.

But then Izzy feel asleep. And Jade really didn't like this.

Jade: "Can I wake Izzy up?"

Katie: "Wow you are very brave."

Jade: "Why?"

Katie: "Let's just say that the expression 'let sleeping does lie' was invented for Izzy."

Jade: "What?"

Katie: "Hmmmm. Waking Izzy would be poking a lion with a stick. It would be like trying to tickle your dad at 3am. Not pretty."

Jade: "I don't get you."

Then Braxton started to doze. Mind you Chase and Cody had skipped out on me hours earlier to find the comfort of their beds. So Jade was started to be a little panicked. I could tell that if she didn't go to bed before Braxton that she would be very nervous. So she and I were sitting there starring at little Braxton. I was mentally willing him to stay awake but alas like many of my mental endeavors, it was a failure. So Jade decided she wanted to go home. I tried to wake up Chase but he looked at me and rolled over. I didn't want Jade to remember the night and think of being traumatized instead of having fun, so I tried Cody. He tried to rollover but I grabbed his big toe and squeezed.

He shot out of bed.

And he took Jaderbugs home.

Nicole, because I put you on the spot last time, I'm not going to do that again. But I want you to know that I NEED a second try one day soon. Pretty please??

No comments: