Monday, January 5, 2009

Merry Tristmas!

Isabelle had so much fun on Christmas morning that she keeps wanting to relive it. Now every morning, she runs into my room and says "Merry Tristmas." Whenever I get her to talk on the phone, instead of saying hello she says "Merry Tristmas." It's really cute, but of course, any Mom would probably say that about their kid. I finally got my tree down but I still have to take care of everything else. I'm just running out of room to store everything because I seem to collect more every single year. We went over to my parents house and when Izzy saw that they were taking down their tree, she almost had a heart attack. She would follow behind my dad and put up the ornaments that he had just taken down. When he finally got the lights off, she started putting the garland back on tree. When he finally hauled it out the door, she stood at the entry way crying out "Goodbye Tristmas Tree, Goodbye." If she had her way, we would celebrate Christmas everyday! My sister-in-law was telling me that out of everything that her parents own her brother, sister and herself are most concerned about who gets her mom's Christmas decor because its the most symbolic thing left of their childhood. When I started thinking about it, that makes so much sense! When I was helping put away the ornaments from the tree so many memories are associated with everything. I always wanted to have a perfectly matched Christmas tree, which is what I have now, but there is something to be said for having a hodgepodge of ornaments that have meaning. Everything I allow on my tree was specifically bought to match everything else and last year I wouldn't let my nephew hang up his proudly homemade stuff (I'm feeling bad now kindof). When I was little, our tree topper was the little blue bird who my Dad nicknamed the Blue Bird of Happiness. I always thought that other houses with angels and stars were so neat because we had this pathetic little bird on top of our tree. I have no idea where this bird came from but we have used it as a tree topper ever since I can remember. And the Blue Bird of Happiness made an appearance this year. To keep up with the tradition of me being difficult, I asked when we are going to retire him but I really don't want him to go anywhere. He symbolizes Christmas at the Thomas house. As an FYI to my sister, I already claimed all of Mom's Precious Moment ornaments so you'll have to think of something else. And I'm not kidding!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the bluebird was started b4 i married your mom. I had a little tree in my house on terry and I had no money to buy a tree topper . So I put the bluebird on top. George simmons came over and said whats that the blue bird of happiness and I said yes and it stuck. Those are some of my favorite memories of xmas putting up ornements at my grandma's and listening to stories behind each one. I'm glad you have some good memories also. ps On the ornaments, Each child and grandchild will be able to pick in order. So sorry katir, you don't get all the precious memory ones. unless you work a deal with heidi alex isabella, marly elliot , etc. love Dad