Thursday, March 19, 2009

Price, Utah

Izzy and I decided to surprise Chase last weekend. He surprises us a lot and we wanted to return the favor. I attempted to get all my weekend chores done during the week so that I could leave without feeling guilty. Of course I didn’t get them all done but I still really wanted to go. Chase has been essentially living in Price for the last six months and we hadn’t been there yet and he is almost getting ready to leave. Of course, when I saw his hotel room, I almost died of shock because it was so organized. Eventually I was just pissed that he couldn’t be that way at home ;). His little desk was all organized and his fridge was stocked. Needless to say, he probably lives better on the road than he does out our house. We left around 2 on Saturday because he usually doesn’t even get off work until 8. The drive was nice and we got see Grandma Sue and Grandpa Don which is always fun. I drove through the canyon leading to Price and it was so beautiful. We saw tons of deer and the red rock. In my head, I was calling Chase a baby because he always complains how “dangerous” this drive is. It’s really not that bad. Driving through this canyon, it’s much how you would expect, with the occasional passing lane. It was our side of the roads turn for the passing lane and I was leading the pack. I really wasn’t going that slow but there was a truck behind me that seemed insistent on passing me. He still hadn’t gotten around me when the lane started to end and I was hugging the right and he was still trying to get around me. Naturally I was screaming “JackA**” in my head. Guess who it turned out to be? You got it, my husband. Chase didn’t realize it was me (obviously I didn't know it was him either) when he was risking his life and my family’s financial future by driving like a maniac. In fact, he was telling his friend Robert “That’s the kind of car my wife drives” without making any kind of connection to the family he was trying to drive off the road. Later down the road (yes, I essentially “won” because I was still in front), while he was riding my car like a cheap hooker, he realized that not only was it the same kind of car but it was MY car. That’s when he called me. I still didn’t know that he was behind me. He asked me what I was doing.
“Uhh driving.”
“Where?”
“Uhh on the highway.”
“Why?”
I really tried to avoid lying to him but he backed me into a corner.
“I’m coming home from my Grandma’s”
That’s when I saw the lights flashing behind me and I found out that I had been caught. What are the odds that he would end up behind me? He did though. Izzy and I didn’t even get to see the look on his face when he realized that we drove 5 hours to come and see him. We had such a nice weekend that I didn’t want to come home. We drove up and saw the memorial for the coal miners that they couldn’t rescue from the Crandall Canyon mine. It was very sad. Chase asked a lady for directions at a Maverick and she started bawling. It really touches a lot of raw nerve in the city still, understandably so. Chase gave us the official tour of Price and I felt kind of weird because it felt like he was showing us his home town. I put off going home until after 5 because I didn’t want to leave. Izzy and I didn’t get home until after 10 but it was worth it. If only we had gotten to see how surprised Chase was when he realized we had come!

No comments: