Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Infertility is not a Joke!

Ok peeps, because this is the best outlet I have, I wanted to share a letter that I sent off to PETA over the weekend. If you would like to send a letter to them as well, please do!

PETA, PETA, PETA.


You have scared me before. But I have moved on and let your point be what it typically is: shock value!

But you have really crossed the line this time. By attacking an entire sect of the population in what you consider a joke. I don't find it funny.

First let me tell you something. Not that it's any of your business.

I am not infertile.

No one in my immediate family is infertile.

My best friend is not infertile.

But I am still offended. I am offended as a friend who has infertile friends.

I am offended as an American.

I am offended as a breathing human.

I am writing you this letter on behalf of my two daughters who could very well grow up and find themselves infertile. I would hate for them to ever feel the way that you have made thousands of interfile people feel.

By giving away a vasectomy in honor of National Infertility Awareness Week, you are insulting everyone, fertile and infertile alike. A medical condition is not something to laugh at, make a joke of or in anyway minimize in order to prove YOUR point. This is not ok!

I understand that you have removed the reference to NIAW but I don't think that this is enough. You need to issue a public apology.

I have encouraged everyone I know to stop donating to your cause until you do so. I have sent personal emails specifically to my extended family members that I know have donated to your organization, asking them to really consider this issue before they make out another check.

Please understand, I consider myself an absolutist when it comes to the first amendment. I stand by my right to speak freely and therefore stand by your right to speak freely. In the tradition of our country, even the Nazi's have the right to make fools of themselves in a public forum. You have similarly made a fool of your organization.

What you need to understand is that with this right comes responsibility. We should use our first amendment right to speak our minds but in a way that bring others up and encourage people during challenging times in their lives.

Because isn't that what you want us to do for animals?

Don't you see how treating your fellow man insensitively undermines your work for the ethical treatment of animals?

I have seen this other example on other blogs and want to share it here because it really makes the point.

Would you offer a double mastectomy in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month? You know, so that we can be like our feline friends and not have to deal with hoo-hahs?

I seriously doubt it.

And if you did, I would be as equally outraged as I am now!

Please PETA you have the real opportunity to right a wrong here. You have the opportunity to admit you were wrong and issue a public apology. Your organization is run by humans and humans make mistakes. I know that you would probably find forgiveness.

Take the challenge and apologize!

Sincerely,

Katie

No comments: