Thursday, December 1, 2016

Weighed Down

It is 3:30 a.m. in the Burke house. Please understand I don’t typically crawl out of bed to write.  Or do anything for that matter.  I like sleep way too much. But today I need to see darkness outside my windows and have a house full of sleeping people because I feel like I’m entering sacred territory.

Sacred territory? This must be intense.

It is, peeps. It is. I’m going to let you in on my battle and lay it all out on the line.

The truth is that I’ve given food way too much power in my life for far too long and I don’t want to be that person anymore. I’m tired of being overweight. My mom passed away from complications of a stroke at 54 and she was at a healthy weight. What am I setting myself up for by not being healthy?

I promise I’ve tried as many weight-loss programs as I could: Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, LA Weight Loss. I know they work for some people but I’ve failed at every single one of them.

I’m so lucky to have a good friend who loves me enough to tell me she thinks bariatric surgery would be a good option for me.

We were sitting at her house, when she said, “You need to watch this Youtube video.” All of sudden, I was watching a young girl describe my life exactly.  She loved food so much it began consuming her life, always thinking about the next meal and scheduling her life around it.
In other words, living to eat instead of eating to live. A feeling I know very well.  

She took back her life by having a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, which is a surgery that removes a large portion of your stomach.

After hearing her story, I decided to talk to my husband about it.  He reacted exactly like I thought he would, adamant that a diet change and intense exercise is the right way.
Sigh. I love my husband. But he falls under the I-quit-pop-for-a-week-and-lost-30-pounds category.

I’m much more of the I-quit-pop-for-forever-and-gained-four-pounds person.

If only life was fair.

Knowing I would need his full support, I was contemplating my next move when twelve hours later, he called me and was so overcome with emotion he could barely speak.

Away for work, he has been sitting in a hotel watching ESPN when a documentary came on. It was about a group of professional athletes who attempted to complete a workout with eighty pounds of extra weight strapped to them. In the beginning, the participants were critical of being overweight and, through the show, their voices changed to expressing kindness for those struggling with extra weight.

Watching this had completely changed my man’s mind on his wife pursuing a medically-supervised weight loss surgery.

Wow. Since my husband is obsessed with sports, I’m usually like, “Babe, you know you’re not on the payroll, right? Stop screaming at the TV because the Denver Bronco coaches don’t care what you think.”
But in this case, I was like, “Thanks goodness for ESPN. Watch some more.”

So the next step was to attend the free seminar at Bingham Memorial Hospital.

On my way, I almost chickened out. You see, being overweight has amplified my anxiety to new levels. I don’t want to put myself in any situation where I feel vulnerable. But my dear friend, who initially expressed concern for me, was riding shotgun and wouldn’t let me turn around. When I tried, she threatened to roll down her window, throw her arms out of the car and scream like she was being kidnapped. 

I am so thankful for good friends.

At the seminar, the doctor explains all of the surgical weight loss options and stayed until every question has been answered.

I can’t tell a lie. On the way home, I wept. 

I was so overcome with hope I couldn’t take it. Instead of speaking out of judgment, Dr. Medvetz spoke with compassion. When others look at you with disgust, he treated every single person in the room with kindness.

Take it from me, you don’t find that everywhere. It was in that moment, I decided to move forward with my own Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

Am I scared? Yes.

But I’m more scared not to try.

If you want to watch my story in video form, go here: http://binghammemorial.org/katiesjourney


No comments: